Re: [clear] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-levine-mass-batv-01.txt]

2006-03-06 09:37:30

On Mar 5, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Folks,

New version of  draft-levine-mass-batv.

After a quick look:

,---
| Public Tagging:  Using a public-key approach, for signing the
|    MailFrom's local-part permits intermediaries which process the
|    envelope to validate that address.  For example, an intermediary
|    that otherwise might create a bounce message would be able to
|    decide that the MailFrom address use is not valid, so they might
|    decide to terminate bounce processing.  Such a scheme might use
|    the BATV meta-syntax in the following way:
|
|   pub3=<loc-core>=<crypted>=<attributes>@example.com
'---

It seems this should reflect the general tag description:

 pub3=<crypted>.<attributes>=<loc-core>@example.com
               ^            ^^^^^^^^^^^

The syntax has changed to keep the original local-part positioned on the right next to the '@' symbol. There must always be two '=' symbols to now parse the BATV information. I would suggest adding two more characters to the tag-val

,---
| The generic element syntax for the structured fields defined for a
|  BATV <local-part> is:
|
|       local-part       = tag-type "=" tag-val "=" loc-core
|
|       tag-type         = 1*( DIGIT / ALPHA / "-" )
|                          ; specific, registered validation scheme
|
|       loc-core         = {original local-part value}
|
|       tag-val          = 1*( DIGIT / ALPHA / "-" )
|                          ; the validation data
'___

By adding a few more characters, different it allows sub syntax within the tag-val without adding an addition "=" which is now invalid.

The reason for this new restriction was to accommodate the handling of the VERP syntax being found within the original local-part.

     tag-val          = 1*( DIGIT / ALPHA / "-" / "." / "_" )

-Doug