Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Replay attacks and ISP business models

2005-08-07 19:03:39
indistinguishable from a "replay attack."  I'm still waiting for someone
to explain how you stop replay without also wrecking mailing lists, other
that by implausibly labor intensive approaches like manually whitelisting
every legitimate remailer in the world.

The damage done to mailing lists reputation may also be the effect of
collateral damage caused by other servers sharing the same IP address
space.

No, that's not what I said.  Please go back and re-read my previous
messages, paying particular attention to the fact that what mailing lists
normally do, with no abuse at all, no spammers involved, nothing other
than what they do every day in correct operation, is identical to a
"replay attack",

The damage to mailing lists has nothing to do with "other servers sharing
the same IP address".  The damage to mailing lists is that any scheme that
prevents spammers from delivering 100 copies of a message to spam
recipients will also prevent mailing lists from delivering 100 copies of a
message to the recipients who asked for it.

Any so-called replay prevention scheme is a direct attack on the normal
operation of mailing lists.  Can I make that any clearer?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor