Re: [ietf-dkim] Purpose and sequence for DKIM specification and deployment

2005-08-27 10:30:28
Scott,

If you are proposing that work in the group cease on SSP until the base document is submitted to the standards process (this will come as a surprise to no one, I'm sure), I think it's a serious mistake.

Well, this is probably a good point to discuss. My original motivation for writing the note was/is concern about our lack of focus and difficulty in making progress, so far. Hence my note suggests a framework/basis for the prioritization that is defined in the draft charter.

Some folks think a group like this can do lots of things at once. My own experience with IETF groups is that this is only true for individuals or small sub-sets of the group. The main group, itself, seems rarely able to consider more than one thing at a time.

Worse, the engineer is each of us usually wanders down into the specification details far too readily. We have certainly seen that tendency on this list.

So the question is how we get group to focus well enough to make concrete progress? At the moment, that means turning out a threat analysis that the group agrees on.

--

  d/

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking