[ietf-dkim] Re: Purpose and sequencefor DKIM specificationand deployment

2005-08-30 13:13:38
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

What we should attempt to achieve in the specification is a
method of describing the protocol from a neutral point of
view that is independent of the perspective of any given
| party.

Let's say that the perspective of an "ignorant" receiver is
more important than details at the side of the sender.

We should develop and articulate a description of the
protocol that confuses as few people as possible. That
requires a global view and not a post modern relativistic
approach that requires the reader to engage in hermeneutic
exegeis of the document.

Taking this statement as an example:  I'm "sure" that it's
from you, it's your style.  I don't need blinking green lights
in my MUA to "know" this.  I'm interested to kill some mails
automatically (=> ignorant receiver) without manual checking,
where it's "clear" that somebody abused (spoofed) your From.

In other words, SOFTPASS / PASS / HARDPASS / op=auth (using
SPF-terminology) are very interesting, but essentially from
my POV as receiver I trust that you will handle it if another
user @verisign forges pbaker@

I want to kill all pbaker(_at_)verisign where it's 100% clear that
it wasn't you or somebody else @verisign.  Modulo screw ups on
your or my side,  Please tell me where that misses essential
points in the design of DKIM.
                              Bye, Frank