Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-fenton-dkim-threats-00

2005-09-28 10:16:37

On Sep 28, 2005, at 7:40 AM, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

The threat analysis is really a requirements document. It neither rules in or rules out the use of things not currently in the DKIM specification, such as revocation identifiers or SSP alternatives, because these are choices that might be made in the design phase.

Yep, exactly correct. Let's focus now on perfecting this threat analysis document and leave matters of "DKIM doesn't have this" and "DKIM needs to stop doing that" for later.

I too wish to see DKIM move forward. However, lacking a realistic assessment may weight against receiving the endorsements for moving forward.

While the latest version of the DKIM draft itself is a substantial improvement over preceding drafts, what problem is being solved and what threats are avoided?

The abstract for DKIM makes the following statements:
,---
| The ultimate goal of this framework is to prove and protect message sender | identity and the integrity of the messages they convey, while retaining the | functionality of Internet email as it is known today. Proof and protection | of email identity, including repudiation and non-repudiation, may assist
| in the global control of "spam" and "phishing".
'---

There should be a description in the threat analysis regarding what identity is or is not protected. As example, consider the provider offering outbound email services as a third-party signer. This provider permits any and all mailbox-addresses, but promptly terminates abusive accounts. A normal practice. This permissive acceptance of mailbox-addresses retains the functionality of email today.

How is the signing-domain (the relevant identity with respect to DKIM) protected? How is repudiation realistically achieved in response to a replay attack in this scenario? Does a lack of effective repudiation prevent reputation being a basis for acceptance? In other words, does a lack of effective repudiation with the loss of a reputation utility substantially degrade possible "spam" or "phishing" deterrents?

When attempting to extend protection to other identities, is SSP mailbox-domain authorization easily exploited? What are the attacks that defeat this authorization approach?

-Doug