Re: [ietf-dkim] New DKIM threat analysis draft

2005-10-12 14:05:41
On October 10, 2005 at 10:07, "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" wrote:

I think this problem goes away if we understand the purpose of DKIM to be
to allow parties to provide the recipient of an email with additional
information that allows them to make a more efficient and/or more
accurate determination of whether they are willing to accept it.

What is "the additional information?"  As of now, the additional
information has not been clearly defined: is it just a domain
accepting responsibiliy, is it protecting originating identities,
or something else?  Past threads have debated on DKIM's scope, but
I have not seen any firm resolution.

Past discussions tend to imply that DKIM mainly provides the ability
for a domain to claim responsibility for a message.  If this is the
case, I have not seen a good argument on how this will improve things.
For example, with reputation systems, will DKIM provide a better
(i.e. more effective) reputation system over existing ones (e.g.
network address-based) justifying the cost of deploying DKIM?

--ewh