Re: [ietf-dkim] Should DKIM drop SSP?

2005-10-26 16:46:56

On Oct 26, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

No we should not.

Is there anything in this line of reasoning that isn't duplicative of the last
time we went through your view on this in August?

At that time, if I recall, the problem was related to shared systems and possible unfair accrual of reputation based upon the email- address. This issue was left open. Since then, SSP has become more disruptive of typical email use. Unfortunately such disruption by SSP is _required_ before benefits are derived with respect to repudiating invalid messages. Such disruption would not occur when a relationship to the email message transport is used as the basis of the policy, rather than the author.

Risks to valid messages associated with these policies and a lack of a defensive strategy remain the greatest risks to a successful outcome. There are several that see From email-address authorization mechanisms as the means for abating spam. I see this as a dead-horse, but this aspiration has remained constant and seems to accompany a willingness to inflict significant damage upon the email transport.

As you do not want SSP to drop policies related to the From header, what are the trade-offs being made when SSP policies are applied in a manner that allows repudiation of messages from Bad Actors?

Can you acknowledge the trade-off and defend this choice?

-Doug