Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP focus

2005-11-11 17:59:38
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>

pps.  I believe quite a bit of confusion and distraction is caused by our
using the word "policy".  It encourages people to think in terms of grand
strokes of organizational decision-making.  Something more modest, like
"practise" might limit the overblown reactions we have seen to this effort
to allow signers to indicate how they do things.

Good point.

My opinion:

It also crossed my mind often that *policy* may be a source of philosophical
admin vs. developer conflict for reasons you stated. After all,  developers
follow standards, pseudo-standards, defauto or "best current" practices to
honor and support the local operational policies and wishes of
administrators and operators.

But I'm personally ok with the term POLICY and I think it is appropriate for
the purpose and for the long run final usage of DKIM where ultimately, for
the majority I would venture, it will be presented to administrators within
current "Domain Policy" setups, configurations, security profiles  or
definitions where as an administrator they do often think in organizational
terms.

I think Policy is ok.