Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter

2005-11-14 05:15:05
On 11/13/2005 14:41, Tony Hansen wrote:
To get past the contentions around SSP, I'm wondering if we should
change the wording slightly, as follows.

 Tony Hansen
 tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

Barry Leiba wrote:
DRAFT IETF WORKING GROUP CHARTER

Domain Keys Identified Message (DKIM)

DESCRIPTION OF WORKING GROUP:

The Internet mail protocols and infrastructure allow mail sent from
one domain to purport to be from another. While there are sometimes
legitimate reasons for doing this, it has become a source of general
confusion, as well as a mechanism for fraud and for distribution of
spam (when done illegitimately, it's called "spoofing"). The DKIM
working group will produce standards-track specifications that allow
a domain to take responsibility, using digital signatures, for having
taken part in the transmission of an email message and to publish

possibly to publish

"policy" information about how it applies those signatures. Taken
together, these will assist receiving domains in detecting (or ruling
out) certain forms of spoofing as it pertains to the signing domain.

The deliverables for the DKIM working group are these:

* An informational RFC providing an overview of DKIM and how it can fit
  into overall messaging systems, implementation and migration
  considerations, and outlining potential DKIM applications and future
  extensions.
* An informational RFC presenting a detailed threat analysis of, and
  security requirements for, DKIM.  IESG approval of this document is a
  prerequisite for the submission of the standards-track specifications.
* A standards-track specification for DKIM signature and verification.
* A standards-track specification for DKIM policy handling.

A possible ...

* A standards-track specification for a DKIM DNS Resource Record.

Whatever the charter says, I don't think it obligates us to do something dumb.
If SSP doesn't work out and there isn't a rough consensus for it, I'm sure
the WG won't produce it and will say why.

I don't think this helps any.  Personally, I'm already concerned about the
timing and will SSP get deferred indefinitely.  Please don't weaken the
current draft charter WRT SSP any further.

Scott K