Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: WG Review: Domain Keys Identified Mail (dkim)

2005-12-21 19:47:04
So they re-assert their concerns again during the IETF charter last call,
and now the chairs quickly concede the change, even before getting support
from the rest of the group.

Although I also agree with Jim (and others) that the XMPP text is just about
the same as our existing text, watching these events unfold has drawn into
question my understanding of the rules so I need some clarification (sorry,
I'm a newb).  I don't understand how consensus is determined prior to the
acceptance of a change to which (I had thought) substantial consensus had
already been established.  It's clear to me that the Vancouver BOF
established overwhelming support for *something*.  I had thought that
*something* was a WG governed by the charter text which was offered at the
BOF.  Am I wrong here?  If so, then what (if anything) was established by
the humm I heard in Vancouver?  If I'm right, how can a new concensus
significant enough to overturn that demonstrated in Vancouver possibily be
established on the postings of two or three individuals?  Wouldn't you need
everybody who hummed in Vancouver to post "I changed my mind" to this list
first?   So, I just want to understand the process.

--
Arvel Hathcock
CEO, Alt-N Technologies, Ltd.