RE: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and mailing lists

2006-01-19 21:30:28
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John Levine

How many mailing lists do you subscribe to where you need to
do spam filtering on the mail that comes through the list?
Me neither.  (I do bozo filtering, but the bozos are neither
spammers nor forgers, just bozos, and I filter on their From: lines.)

I pretty much agree, my mailing list spam rate is negligible. Every so
often there is a problem with a virus or the like but they are generally
dealt with by moderator intervention.

If bad guys try to turn the clock back to 1995 and use
mailing lists as spam amplifiers, the solution will be the
same it was ten years ago, to fix the list software to keep
the bad guys out, not to do filtering at the recipient end.

If the spammers do go after mailing lists they increase the load on
admins, encourage them to go to automated tools, hence encourage spread
of DKIM. So this particular hole is self-correcting if it exists.