[ietf-dkim] Handling issues on WG documents

2006-01-24 04:04:13

Hi All,

We'd like to try be a bit more structured about how we handle
comments on WG documents, esp as they get closer to last call.

Luckily, Eliot Lear has agreed to maintain an issues list for
us, hosted on the rt.psg.com server. (Thanks Eliot!)

You can view the current issues list at [1]. It has a few
entries we added partly for test purposes.

Here's how we'd like to start using this:

- Anyone can suggest an issue in an email with "New Issue:" at
  the start of the subject line.
- Each issue has to map to one or more WG documents (currently
  that means only the threats draft)
- Issues can be reasonably raised for typos and other editorials
  (in groups preferably) or else for single, substantive, specific
  technical issues (with suggested alternate text being
  especially welcome)
- The default is to add the suggested issue to the list unless
  its a really silly issue or a repeat (Eliot will try to
  detect such, aided by Barry and I)
- Discussion should be on the same thread and Eliot will edit
  in the salient points as we go (however the tool supports
  that, I'm not sure yet)
- Barry and/or I declare the issue closed whenever we detect
  consensus, with a pointer to a list message or some other
  text on why the issue is now closed.
- Three or more requests from list participants are needed
  to re-open an issue (with that number maybe increasing the
  closer we get to completing the work)

So let's try it out by commenting the threats draft! [2]

We can massage the rules above as we go if that's necessary,
but let's try using it first and *not* have a debate before
starting.

Cheers,
Stephen.

[1] http://www.ofcourseimright.com/dkim-issues.txt