Re: [ietf-dkim] Jamming stuff in the selector record

2006-03-21 10:41:19
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Jim Fenton wrote:
I agree with you regarding the obscurity of the "r=" value. Typically there will be a lot of messages floating around from which selector names can be harvested (from certain mailing list archives, for example); depending on confidentiality of selector names is a losing battle.

For comparison: Do people actually get spam based on, for example, the contact address published in SOA records at the top of a DNS zone? I've never heard of such a thing.

However, the key record has the useful property that it is under the
control of the domain administrator, and not the signer (since they can
be different when keys are delegated).  Things that affect the validity
of the signature like the hash algorithm(s) that are used in connection
with a given key are appropriate for the key record.  This prevents a
delegate from using a weaker algorithm than is intended by the domain.

For a domain that has only a few selectors in use, sure. But suppose someone starts using keys on a per-user basis (or any other method that requires a huge number of signing keys), then changes the hash requirements. Any large organization could then have an enormous number of records to update. It sure would be nice to be able to change it in just one place, like a signing policy.

It might well be the case that we just need to include this in the specification to indicate we've thought about it, and explain why we chose whatever location ends up holding it.