[ietf-dkim] Using v= in -base-01 and forwards

2006-03-29 15:33:46
Greetings again. The recent discussion of how to tell new protocol versions from pre-IETF versions indicates that it is a good time to start using v=. I propose the following for -01.

---------------------

---------------------
Rationale:
We need a way to track bits-on-the-wire and semantic changes between drafts.

---------------------
Changes:

In section 3.5:
OLD:
   v=   Version (MUST NOT be included).  This tag is reserved for future
       use to indicate a possible new, incompatible version of the
       specification.  It MUST NOT be included in the DKIM-Signature
       header field.

       ABNF:

   sig-v-tag =
NEW:
   v=   Version.  This tag indicates the version of the protocol that
       the signer used when signing the message. It MUST be included
       on signatures that use the format and semantics of the current
       version of the document, and the value MUST be "01" (without the
       quotes). If a signature does not contain the v= tag, that means
       that the signer was using format and semantics that preceded the
       IETF standardization effort.

       ABNF:

   sig-v-tag = %x76 [FWS] "=" [FWS] sig-v-tag-data
   sig-v-tag-data = ALNUMPUNC

In section 6.1, remove the second paragraph.