RE: [ietf-dkim] Re: Issue 1382

2006-10-18 11:01:45

[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of david repking
I'd be satisfied if the requirements draft were to say:

The protocol MUST NOT require use of a new DNS RR type.
The protocol
MAY allow for optional use of a new RR type.

And then nobody will use the new (optional) RR type, if
there's an alternative.

So what? Identify a negative consequence that will affect end users or network
administrators as a result.

IMHO, new types of data MUST require new types of RR

Why? All that the protocol requires is that the data types be unambiguously
represented. A prefix meets that need.

It is desirable to have support for wildcards. As has been explained a pointer
record meets this need much better.

If we would re-use RR types, why don't you wan't arbitrary
numeric values on A records (like telephone numers,
extensions, system IDs,
etc) ???

Actually we already have this proposal, its called ENUM.