RE: [ietf-dkim] Comments on draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-requirements-02.txt

2006-10-23 15:13:34
Just to clarify the proposal I have has three independent parts, I believe that
each represents a simplification of the current SSP and removes net complexity.

1) Discovery
        Discovery of policy records is effected as at present by means of
prefixed TXT records. If no prefixed TXT record is found the verifier looks for
a new record PRPTR standing for Prefixed record pointer. This gives a new
location at which to look for a PTR.

2) Policy
        The policy record has a meta-syntax of a sequence of tag, value pairs,
the value slot is optional. The policy contraints of each and every tag
specified must each be met. Defined tags are:

        NULL
        NOMAIL
        DKIM [=selector-constraint]

        The DKIM policy is all or nothing. If present then every message sent
has a DKIM header with a selector value that meets the specified selector
constraint.

        The selector constraints are simply a suffix that the selector must
have. No regular expressions, matching rules or anything. This allows the
sender to create the effect 'must have a sig of type A and a sig of type B'.

3) Null Key Record
        To assist in transitioning from an unsigned to a signed zone it may be
useful to state 'every message is signed except for these'. In order to express
this constraint we introduce null key records. These specify the null signature
algorithm and have no key value. They do however have constraints on the sender
value.

        The sender can thus create exceptions to their 'I sign everything'
policy by adding a fixed header referencing the null key record.

        Null key records do not authenticate the message, their only purpose is
to claim an exemption from a blanket signature policy.

In aggregate this proposal has half the number of moving parts as the current
SSP proposal and it meets the full set of specified requirements plus the
additional requirements that should be stated if we ever want to change the
specification such as deploy a new canonicalization algorithm.