Re: [ietf-dkim] Deployment Scenario 7: Cryptographic Upgrade and Downgrade Attacks

2007-03-01 06:17:56
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 00:31:05 -0000, Arvel Hathcock <arvel(_dot_)hathcock(_at_)altn(_dot_)com> wrote:

Mike, this is what I was trying to say in a previous post. You are exactly right. We have already faced this situation and it has proven itself in the field to work just fine.

Arvel

Michael Thomas wrote:
I'm still not seeing what the problem is with things as they stand now.
We've already been through a transition with sha1 and sha256. The
solution was to make both signatures in the transition and set the
h=sha1|sha256; in the selector. All you do when you're ready to
completely transition is only sign with the new algorithm and set
h=sha256; in the selector. This is exactly the kind of case we wanted
to get right for -base and as far as I can tell it worked exactly as
intended.
 I'm honestly not trying to be obtuse here.

That particular example (change of hash algorithm) may indeed work in the selector (though it doesn't make it clear that "h=sha1|sha256" necessarily means "we always sign twice, once with each).

But that makes no provision for any of the other parts of the algorithm that may change over time, such as the canonicalization of the means of accessing those selectors (dns/txt has always been regarded as a temporary expedient until the DNS contains some better mechanism).

Hence the proposal to put all this information in the SSP. But putting it anywhere where it would work would solve the problem. What will not solve the problem is doing nothing.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.