Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM signature can mean it's safe to generate bounce?

2007-07-07 09:40:04
Dave Crocker wrote:
Folks,

I'm not sure whether this fits into SSP or not, since it does not seem to require that a record be published. However...

It seems to me that if a message has a DKIM signature and the signing domain matches the domain in the rfc2821.MailFrom command, then it is safe to generate a bounce message to that address.

By 'safe' I mean that one can be confident that the mail will not go to an unwitting victim of a spoofed address.

Am I missing something?

Two things:

1) Of course, 2821.MAIL FROM is not 2822.FROM,

2) BOUNCE is for non-deliverables, not "non authenticated messages."

We should be careful to mix bounce semantics.

We have the possible technical logic:

   A - Message Deliverable Status (1, 0)
   B - Message Authentication Status (1, 0, ?)

That gives you 6 possible scenarios:

  A1, B1 --> PERFECT WORLD!
  A1, B0 --> DROP, BOUNCE DOES NOT APPLY
  A1, B? --> DROP MAYBE?, BOUNCE DOES NOT APPLY
  A0, B1 --> DKIM DOES NOT APPLY, MSG NOT DELIVERABLE -> BOUNCE
  A0, B0 --> DKIM DOES NOT APPLY, MSG NOT DELIVERABLE -> BOUNCE
  A0, B? --> DKIM DOES NOT APPLY, MSG NOT DELIVERABLE -> BOUNCE

Maybe you thinking DKIM STATUS REPORTING feedback concept?

In my book, RFC2822 is a 2nd stage consideration. 2821 comes first and for systems doing 2821 level successful checks, the BOUNCE is considered "USEABLE." In other words, in order to avoid bounce attacks, the 2821 system has to do its checks outside of 2822 considerations such as DKIM. This might include SSP checking before the message is ACCEPTED at the DATA level, and the only type of SSP you should check for is for your basic SSP/DKIM violations as described in DSAP.

- NO-MAIL EXPECTATION
- NO SIGNATURE EXPECTED/BUT MSG IS SIGNED
- SIGNATURE EXPECTED/BUT MSG IS NOT SIGNED

DKIM validation is not required.

This is what we are doing in our products, and in fact, are currently adding the logic to our List Server where it does some rudimentary subscription DKIM POLICY checks.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com