[ietf-dkim] Survey: Reputation string, to use from DKIM

2007-08-17 08:44:04
Folks,

I've had a brief exchange, with a few folks recently, that suggests quite a bit of ambiguity about the DKIM-related information to be used for assessing reputation/accreditation.

     Simply put:

        When you validate a DKIM signature, what information do you
        (intend to) use for querying your reputation/accreditation
        data bases?

So I'd like to ask folks to privately send me their own views on what string or strings are intended to be used.

I am asking for private replies only to me so that each response is essentially free of influence from others. I will then summarize the results and we can start enjoying a bit of discussion about them.

To be clear: Of course a site making reputation assessments can and will use whatever they wish. So the issue is not restricting their freedom.

Rather, the question is about DKIM's precise (standardized) semantics. Note that DKIM -base declares that the purpose of DKIM is to "permit a signing domain to assert responsibility for a message".

So the purpose of this survey is to ask what string you believe is intended to represent that responsibility?

Thanks.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker