[ietf-dkim] Nits with section 4 Detailed Description

2007-10-30 14:45:44
Yet more suggestions:

4.1  DNS Representation

"Sender Signing Practices records" -> "Sender Signing Practices Records" (assuming you agreed to the previous suggestion of making this an explicit definition change in 2.7).

"Records not in compliance with that syntax or the syntax of individual tags described in Section 4.3 MUST be ignored" This seems like you're saying two things: First, records with overall syntactic problems (like SPF record put into SSP location) should be ignored. Second, that records with individual tags that are not syntactically correct result in the entire SSP record being ignored (rather than the specific tag in question being ignored). Is this what you mean?

"for purposes of message disposition," - I would just delete this bit as it's not necessary and could stur up the distaste some have with the entire question of SSP determining message disposition.

"SSP records for a domain are published at a location...." - I keep forgetting where this is and trying to find it in the document is not as easy as it could be yet this is a major issue of practicality. I think this is just my own stupidity coming into play but perhaps this point could be highlighted with a 4.1.1 and a title of like "SSP location in DNS" and maybe it should be put into 4.2 since that section is entitled "Publication of SSP Records".

4.2   Publication of SSP Records

I see we have done away with the tree-walking completely which I think is great.

4.3  Record Syntax

So, if I encountered an SSP record with dkim=foo this value is invalid and so the SSP contains a tag that is syntactically incorrect. This causes the rejection of the entire SSP record right? If so, I think this should be made more clear because I missed it. Is this what the text in 4.1 is saying?

The descriptive text for "all", "strict", "process" should be indented some to aid readability.

Non-Normative Rationale: Strict may also be used by domains who simply don't want their domain spoofed. Not sure if you want to say something about that or not.

The section on "process" says that messages "SHOULD be processed by the verifier" - that's good because this is what got us the result of "process" in the first instance :P Suggested rewrite: process - Messages which are Suspicious from this domain SHOULD NOT be rejected although an SSP failure MAY be considered in subsequent evaluation of the message.
    "intende" -> "intended"

 Suggested rewording of the t=y text:

"The domain is testing Sender Signing Practices and the message SHOULD NOT be considered Suspicous based solely on it's results."

That's it from me for nits :)

Arvel