Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-02.txt ASP/SSP section 2.8

2008-02-08 12:23:17
Hector,

I have to admit that I'm having a bit of problem understanding everything you are saying in your response, perhaps because I haven't been able to get through the nearly 500 messages that came in while I was recuperating. I finally concluded that I had to just jump in, but I am missing some context.

Thanks for your example on SMTP vs SUBMIT --- that gives me a good handle on what you mean by "relaxed protocol". But I'm not understanding "protocol consistency fraud". I think they are connected, but I don't understand how, and how SSP-02 makes it easier vs. SSP-01.

So far as I am aware, the SSP-02 /protocol/ is no weaker than in SSP-01. What is weaker normative requirements on how the receiver interprets that protocol, which is inevitable if you buy into the idea that SSP has no right to impose any requirements on the receivers. If you're disagreeing with that premise then I fully understand; this is just a case where you have to choose one and go with it, because you can't have it both ways. As I said before, my position is that as desirable as it may seem to put requirements on the receiver in order to guarantee consistent results, the reality is that the receivers will do whatever they want to in order to give the best results for themselves and their customers. Hence, saying "no normative requirements for receivers" is in my mind just bowing to an inevitable reality.

This is at the root of eliminating the concept of 3rd Party Signatures. They were only relevant in terms of how the receiver interprets the DKIM results, and hence inappropriate for discussion.

You say some things about the Evaluator that lead me to believe that you've got a different idea of what it should be than I do. You say:

So to me the idea of an Evaluator would be first a fundamental
protocol consistency Evaluator that would be part of the DKIM/SSP
framework across all supportive/compliant systems.  It would be
100% independent from any subjective or heuristics or reputation
analysis or any one group detecting their questionable inherent
policies or implementations methods.

This is the inverse of the model in my head, where the Evaluator is completely /dependent/ on "subjective or heuristics or reputation analysis" --- it is, in short, how the receiver decides how to process the message. Indeed, the point of introducing the concept is an attempt to make explicit what is out of scope for normative definition in the SSP spec.

If I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say (very possible) then I apologize and request further explanation.

eric