Re: [ietf-dkim] ietf-dkimNew Issue: ssp-04 DNS operational requirement

2008-07-03 07:12:07
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:40:58 -0700, Douglas Otis
<dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> said:

DO> 4.3.  ADSP Lookup Procedure
DO> ,--
DO> |If a query results in a "SERVFAIL" error response, the algorithm
DO> |terminates without returning a result; possible actions include
DO> |queuing the message or returning an SMTP error indicating a
DO> |temporary failure.
DO> '--

DO> In addition SERVFAIL may not be visible behind a caching resolver.

Speaking only about the SERVFAIL part: I don't think it's appropriate to
discuss particular failure reasons behind DNS.  Simply indicating that
DNS failed to look something up is a better way to form the text since
it's entirely possible that other issues may cause similar results.  EG,
if a lookup fails to validate via DNSSEC and related policies then
effectively you're in a similar boat: you're not sure about the results
and you've failed to retrieve the needed data (but for yet another
reason).  (It's even possible that DNS itself could be updated in the
future to return new error codes because of DNSSEC or other technologies
that need to introduce new negative results).

  How about "If a DNS query fails to succeed in returning a valid positive
  or negative result (such as indicated by a SERVFAIL or DNSSEC validation
  failure) then the algorithm...

(This only deals, as I said, with the usage of the "SERVFAIL" term; I'll
defer about the other half of this issue)