Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC4871bis - whether to drop -- k: Key type

2009-06-07 06:36:20
* A lot of what we call trust is the users believing in the software.
Despite the fact that it is indeed essentially impossible for there to
be a cryptographic error, crypto is hard to understand. Look at how
ill-understood the SHA1 issues are. This is an easy way to give
explainable, understandable warm fuzzies to administrators everywhere,
and as I said above, it even simplifies error-checking and makes it
more reliable.

Another way to look at it is that k= is useless, but it's not harmful,
so it'd be more productive to argue about the warts that are both
useless and harmful.

R's,
John