Re: [ietf-dkim] [Fwd: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871-errata-07.txt]

2009-07-02 16:07:09
Lest anyone interpret silence as agreement, I'm OK (not enthusiastic,
but OK) with most of the added text in this revision, but I have a
problem with the last two paragraphs.

This does not state what the implicit value of "i=" is, relative to
"d=". In this context, that fact is irrelevant.

I'm not sure what point is being made, but RFC 4871 does explicitly
define the default value of "i=" (an empty Local-part followed by an "@"
followed by the domain from the "d=" tag).  It isn't clear what "this"
context is, and the paragraph is likely to introduce confusion as to
whether the default value in RFC 4871 no longer exists.

Another example is the difference between the socket interface to TCP
versus the TCP protocol itself. There is the activity within the
protocol stack, and then there is the activity within in the software
libraries that are actually used.

This analogy isn't clearly stated, and in any case is discussion that is
irrelevant in the context of a protocol specification.

Both of these paragraphs should be removed.

-Jim