[ietf-dkim] EAI and DKIM(was Re: Proposed new charter)

2010-03-02 17:53:48
Hi, David,

Being on this list a year or more, this is my first post here. Thank you
for rasing this point in this list so quickly. And I raised the problem of
EAI(E-mail Address Internationalization) at APCAUCE meeting(and
back to Tokyo now), so I'd like to clarify the point as much as I can,
though I am not an expert in this area.

Fist of all, I don't think IDN has interoperability problems with DKIM.
IDN is designed not to affect any impact to existing DNS system.
(So punycode encoding, which encodes unicode to ascii, is used)

At first, I thought EAI is only extend IDN punycode to local part of E-mail
address. But it is wrong. EAI extends SMTP to express full E-mail address
as internationalized.

My rough understanding is that EAI is put e-mail address into From: with
both unicode encoded and current style. When recipient SMTP server
does not support EAI, it downgrades to connect to the recipient.
Which means delete unicode part from From: hearder. That makes DKIM
verification breaks.

thanks in advance,
Takaaki Higuchi, Anti-spam committe, Internet Association Japan

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>