Re: [ietf-dkim] Wrong Discussion - was Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-05-04 04:41:29

--On 30 April 2010 08:48:44 -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<msk(_at_)cloudmark(_dot_)com>
wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Jeff Macdonald
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 8:32 AM
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
should strip DKIM signatures

Perhaps poorly chosen words. But I think most understood the intent.
I'm willing to go from a world where any system can use my From to one
where only the systems I say can. And that means changes.

It has been pointed out that MLM implementers have even more inertia than
your average MTA implementer.  Although many header fields have been
invented specifically for the purpose of aiding list management (your
has not exactly been universal.

So you might be gung ho for big changes that will make things better, but
we need to accept the fact that a substantial portion of the installed
base won't change, at least not soon, and we can't ignore them.  Any BCP
we produce will have to take that into account.

That's fine. "Best Current Practice", except when "Best" is redundant, is
not universal.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex