[ietf-dkim] MUA Reply/Reply ALL behaviors

2010-08-21 17:39:42
Charles Lindsey wrote:

But to bring it marginally back on topic, it arose because my MUA provides
no facility to reply to list only. Just Reply amd Reply all. Another thing
to add to the list of bad MUA behaviours we have noted in recent threads.

Thats has been a long time request.  I believe GMAIL Online supports
list now in its natural reply button.

However, I don't agree it is "bad behavior."  RFC 5322 says replies to
go the Originator Fields and a list address is not included in the
Original Fields. So the MUAs are following the specs and it has to be
taught to do something different (and special).

This is why some MLS offer list admins a list option such as:

     [X] Add Reply-To List Address

It has help address two things IMV:

   - easier ergonomics for the USER who will naturally click the
     natural "Reply" button and the message is a private 1 to 1
     message, does not go to the list.

   - Avoids unnecessary direct email copies and just
     reply to list which most people want (naturally).

The user can still click "Reply to All" if he wants a response to go
to multiple emails or the author only which I believe is the only
situation where he has to cut out the other addresses.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com