Re: [ietf-dkim] "third party signing" != "mailing list problem"

2010-09-18 04:14:29
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Douglas Otis wrote:
Review the TPA-Label draft.  The Third-Party Authorization specifies

True, TPA does have support for identifying a DKIM-ignorant list based on
MAIL FROM:  (Although I don't see any support for sites that sign all
first-person-mail but are ignorant of user subscriptions.)

But, the problem I'm focusing on is that TPA is so much more complicated
than plain ADSP.  If a protocol was designed to just cover the mailing list
problem, it could likely be simpler.

The third-party signing use cases that do not overlap the mailing list
problem do not seem to be needed badly enough to justify the complexity,
IMO.  You could say 3PS in SSP tried to piggyback those costly yet
less-important cases on top of the mailing-list support, but the extra
weight caused the effort to collapse entirely.  Thus resulting in the
dead-simple yet hostile-to-lists ADSP.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>