Re: [ietf-dkim] Some responsibility

2010-11-01 12:35:02
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Graham Murray
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2010 11:51 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Some responsibility

DKIM is no position today to provide any assurance to or for anyone to
be indemnified from liabilities.

I agree that it does not provide indemnity, but it does not claim to, it
claims to do the opposite.  What it does provide is assurance of
acceptance of liability for messages which are signed. ie if a message
is DKIM signed, the signer cannot later claim "It was nothing to do with
me, it must have been a forgery"

+1

Moreover, I think we tread on dangerous ground when we make assertions in any
direction that are legal rather than technical.  We're about as expert in law
as we are in MUAs, which is to say "not at all".