Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC4871 interoperability conflict over "h= " tag

2011-01-12 13:17:05
Thank you both for your input.

To summarize... a receiver should not fail a message simply because the sender
has "h=sha1" in their DNS and "a=rsa-sha1" on their signatures, even though
that particular configuration isn't exactly expected by an acutely accurate
reader of the RFC.

Yes?

On Jan 11, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of McDowell,
Brett
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:33 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org WG
Subject: [ietf-dkim] RFC4871 interoperability conflict over "h= " tag

(if this doesn't belong on this list, please let me know)

RFC 4871 states:

h=  Acceptable hash algorithms (plain-text; OPTIONAL, defaults to
      allowing all algorithms).  A colon-separated list of hash
      algorithms that might be used.  Signers and Verifiers MUST
      support the "sha256" hash algorithm.  Verifiers MUST also support
      the "sha1" hash algorithm.

The "a=" value indicates a signature generation algorithm, and the definition
of that algorithm indicates which hash (message digest) method was used as
part of that algorithm.  Thus, in essence, the "a=" in the message and the
"h=" in the key have to line up for verification to complete.

For example, if you send me a message signed with "a=rsa-sha1", then when I
retrieve your key, I expect to see no "h=" value there, or a value that
includes "sha1".

Interpretation #1:  The sender must support both, but doesn't need to
use both.  It could be h=sha1, h=sha256, h=sha1:sha256, or h=*.  The
receiver however MUST support either.  Therefore the receiver should be
not fail verification just because the explicit tag in the DNS record
says "h=sha1" instead of the "h=sha1:sha256" which is expected.

You're saying a bunch of different things here:

"The sender must support both, but doesn't need to use both."  True.

"It could be h=sha1, h=sha256, h=sha1:sha256, or h=*."  True except the last,
as "*" isn't valid by that tag's ABNF.

"The receiver however MUST support either."  True, inasmuch as "either" is a
subset of "both". :-)

"Therefore..."  Depends on the signature.  If the record says "h=sha1" but
the signature says "a=rsa-sha256", I'd fail it.

Interpretation #2:  The sender must support both, which means the
sender must either not have an h= tag in the DNS record (defaulting to
h=sha1:sha256) or it must explicitly list "h=sha1:sha256" and therefore
the sender should adjust their public key records vs. the receiver
adjusting their infrastructure to verify "h=sha1" (btw, this is for
messages that contain "a=rsa-sha1" in the DKIM-Signature header).

I think you're mixing implementation with policy.  The "h=" tag in a key
record is an expression of policy that this key can only be used with the
specified hashes.  It is not a statement of what the signer implements.

-MSK