Re: [ietf-dkim] #4: non-ascii header text

2011-04-16 12:50:15
The problem with switching to RFC5890 is the potential that that constitutes
an
actual protocol change of a type not allowed for going to Draft Standard.

I believe this same question was fought at length in the IDNA group and
when the dust and blood settled, they agreed that the changes between 3490
and 5480, which are apparently limited to the encoding of three rarely
used diacriticals, are sufficiently trivial that it's not considered a
protocol change.  Hence they did not change the xn-- prefix for A-labels.

I certainly have no objection to checking with the IDNA crowd to confirm
my impression.  I'll check with a few of the usual suspects.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",