Re: [ietf-dkim] issue: Section 2.6/ 3.5 AUID/i= should have pubkey t=s info

2011-05-05 15:41:04
I think the definition of i= should include information about the
public key t=s tag.  This t=s information that will deviate the "i="
definition is not found until 3.6.1 and 3.10.  The same can apply to
section 2.6 Agent or User Identifier (AUID) which makes no mention of
t=s or any reference to section 3.6.1, 3.10.

Possible small change in 3.5 i= definition, 2nd paragraph change:

      The syntax is a standard email address where the Local-part MAY be
      omitted.  The domain part of the address MUST be the same as, or a
      subdomain of, the value of the "d=" tag.  If the public key
      contains t=s, then the domain part of the address MUST match
      the value of "d=" tag.

Possible small change in 2.6:

   2.6.  Agent or User Identifier (AUID)

   A single identifier that refers to the agent or user on behalf of
   whom the Signing Domain Identifier (SDID) has taken responsibility.
   The AUID comprises a domain name and an optional <Local-part>.  The
   domain name is the same as that used for the SDID or is a sub-domain
   of it. If the public key contains t=s, then the domain name MUST
   be the same as SDID. For DKIM processing, ............

These certainly aren't necessary, but I think they add clarity, so I
support adding the sentence in each place (after fixing the grammar).
While we're at it, we should change "sub-domain" in that 2.6 paragraph
to "subdomain", to be consistent with usage in the rest of the
document (the only place "sub-domain" is used is in the ABNF, where it
has to be).

Barry, as participant