Re: [ietf-dkim] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-10.txt> (DKIM And Mailing Lists) to BCP

2011-05-21 16:22:44
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'd suggest publishing it as Informational or Experimental rather than
BCP.

As DKIM chair, I'd like to reply to this and other messages in this
thread that discuss the status of the subject document:

There was extensive discussion in the DKIM working group about what
the status here should be.  The charter item covering this is here:
  5. Consider issues related to mailing lists, beyond what is
  already documented. This includes considerations for mailing
  list software that supports or intends to support DKIM, as well
  as considerations for DKIM/ADSP deployment in the presence of
  mailing lists that do not have such support. Include
  recommendations in the informational documents, or produce a
  new informational document about mailing-list considerations.

Despite that this says "new informational document", the working group
has long referred to it as "the mailing list BCP".  The language was
originally written as informational, and was changed to normative
language, and BCP status, after discussion and consensus.  Clearly, it
was rough consensus, not unanimity.

There is, indeed, much in the document that isn't so much "current
practice" as "recommended practice".  Some of it is our best current
recommendation, and that might change over time (as implementations
change in general) and experience (as we find what actually works
best).

Personally, I think what this amounts to is a "proposed standard" for
how to deal with maling list managers that have not yet been changed
to support DKIM.  Whether that is published as BCP or Proposed
Standard, it's definitely not "experimenta" so much as "proposed".

As chair, I can say that consensus was to make this normative, not experimental.

Barry, DKIM working group chair