Re: [ietf-dkim] Pete's review of 4871bis

2011-06-29 14:28:57
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave CROCKER
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:56 AM
To: Pete Resnick
Cc: DKIM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Pete's review of 4871bis

If I missed it, I apologize, but have you define what you mean by "attack on
DKIM"?  And why is it important to distinguish which category an attack
falls into?

I'll offer this up:

Something is an "attack on DKIM" if it involves input that can cause DKIM to
report a "pass" when it should report a "fail", or report "d=example.com" when
it should've said "d=example.org".

Since the general output of DKIM is pass/fail and a domain name plus some other
optional signature stuff, I fail to see how double-From type attacks are
attacks on DKIM.  Rather, I think these things we're discussing are attacks on
MUAs (or on ADSP implementations) that fail to do RFC5322 enforcement or fail
to understand what DKIM is telling them.