DKIM promotion to Internet Standard status

2013-05-29 17:59:36
As a commercial implementer and acknowledged contributor to the DKIM protocol IETF project, with some reservation, I would like to add my support for the promotion of the DKIM protocol to Internet Standard (IS) status.

For the record, I would like to state that there still remains inconsistent reputation modeling of DKIM that has not paid off. DKIM processing has offered no value in message evaluations. No persistent or consistent trust framework ("Batteries Required") has emerged for MTAs, MDAs, MSAs, MUAs or any other DKIM processor. In fact, the higher potential model (Author Domain Policies) which was intentionally separated from DKIM continues to be the trend in currently explored augmented protocols to help protect the DKIM signature layer. Author Domain Policies such as ADSP, and extensions ATPS, ASL and now DMARC has emerged to provide signature protection and handling guidelines for domains and receivers. This Author Domain Policy framework is not depicted, by design, in the DKIM proposed standard protocol. However, it is depicted in other RFC documents, such as the Threat Analysis (RFC4686), DKIM Deployment Guide (RFC5863) and the DKIM overview (RFC5585) informational publications. Perhaps some update in the future can correct this design and market inconsistency and explicitly provide knowledge of the alternative frameworks available for DKIM.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.