Re: [ietf-dkim] Timeouts retrieving keys from ietf.org

2013-10-08 13:37:55
On 9/15/13 12:59 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
Traceroutes confirm that it's dead, I sent a note to ietf-action.

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013, Jim Fenton wrote:

Slightly off-topic for this list, but the dkim-ops mailing list seems to
be dormant...

I'm getting a fair number of DKIM key lookup failures from ietf.org.  I
have run into this on two different mail servers with independent
resolver configurations, so I'm inclined to think the problem is not on
my end:

Sep  7 12:58:19 v2 opendkim[1019]: r87JwCmq008446: key retrieval failed
(s=ietf1, d=ietf.org): timeout DNS query for `ietf1._domainkey.ietf.org'

If anyone else is seeing this, let me know and I'll report it.  My
theory is that their DNS servers are struggling to respond to many key
requests after sending out signed messages to large mailing lists. The
TTL is 30 minutes, which may be too short.

-Jim

It turns out that the glue records for ietf.org were messed up. I sent a
note to ietf-action on that, and they have at least worked around the
problem (see below). I'm surprised Network Solutions had this problem.

I haven't seen any key retrieval timeouts since they implemented this.