Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Key Size Constraints

2015-05-12 08:49:27

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Martijn Grooten
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:23 AM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Key Size Constraints

I propose a short draft that updates 6376 to say MUST use at least
1024 bits and setting that as the minimum size verifiers must be able
to validate.  I'm volunteering to write it if people agree it's appropriate.

I think it is appropriate - and I agree with others that we shouldn't go
beyond
that.

Though why not make it even stronger and say that verifiers MUST (or
SHOULD, perhaps) consider signatures with keys shorter than 1024 bits
invalid? This makes it even more explicit.

+1

I think that Scott is correct in suggesting that this proposed update be
limited to setting the minimum size (and nothing else). I also like the
suggestion of considering anything smaller than 1024 invalid (Thank you
Martijn). This should be a quick and easy update.

Apart from that I think we should start a (separate) effort to determine where
we go from here. For the most part 2048 length keys seem not to be a problem in
the wild at this time. On the other hand, given the speed (or lack thereof)
involved in working groups generating useful output, if we start now (for some
definition of now) we should (hopefully) have a solution before 2048 keys are
at risk.

Mike