Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Key Size Constraints

2015-05-13 06:41:28
IMO, this suggestion would be better as an Informational and BCP note.
   I don't think it warrants a change to STD76.

We went through this already.  We (DKIM WG) were well aware of the
weakness of a smaller key but we had backward compatibility concerns
so the proper verification migration path was set.

I see this more as an implementation note.  In our DKIM package,  it
was provided in the API as a functional "numbits" parameter with a
default of 1024 but it is not settable via the sysop configuration/UI.
IOW, 1024 is always used. No option for setting 512.  What we can do
in the future is add the option for higher sizes and even add the
option to "[_] Invalidate 512 signatures".

But IMV, that is Informational/BCP material.  Not a change in the
STD76 specification.

--
HLS