Re: at last: draft-levine-mass-batv-00

2004-09-17 06:53:24

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to dump on the authors
here, but more to point out that this problem is very likely
a second harmonic of the primary problem -- forgery. And it
almost certainly has all of the requirements to deal with
the primary problem and quite likely adds more. Fleshing out
the unique requirements for the bounce reflection attack
from the simple forgery attack would be an extremely useful
exercise IMO.

                Mike

Michael Thomas writes:

The problem here is that the draft does not explain how it
deals with the cut and paste attack. I've specifically asked
about that and have been told yet again that I'm "reading
way too much into it" -- a non answer. With none of the body
included in a hash, a spammer can simply cut a valid
signature and append whatever spam to the body they
want. That's not good. If you counter this by putting some
or all of the body into the hash, the whole process looks
like the more general purpose solution (eg, IIM). As I've
said, I've tested IIM to see if it works against the bounce
reflection attack -- it does. The big question is how to
make this tradeoff against of hash survivability through
bouncers and the cut and paste attack. What I don't see is
why a completely different mechanism for this attack is
necessary.

          Mike