Re: Differences in signing

2004-11-05 22:15:07

At 09:19 AM 11/4/2004 -0600, Dennis Dayman wrote:

I'm new to this list, but wanted to know if anyone has any information on
the differences between Yahoo! and Cisco signing.

Dennis,

Here are what I see are the significant differences between Identified Internet
Mail (Cisco) and DomainKeys (Yahoo!):

1. IIM sends the public key along with the message, and contacts the
originating domain to determine if it's authorized for the email address that
was used.  DK sends a "selector" along with the message which is used to
retrieve the key from the originating domain.  We believe the advantages of the
IIM methodology include: (a) Less data has to be exchanged with the originating
domain (and the size of the transaction is independent of the size of the key);
(b) It does not create a server for keys of dubious reliability and might be
used for other applications which require greater security, and (c) Separates
the authentication of the message from the authorization of the key, which has
a small performance benefit and allows a recipient to better diagnose the cause
of a failure to verify.

2. IIM has defined an HTTP-based method of key authorization in addition to
DNS.  We believe that DNS-based authorization will be difficult for domains
that have a lot of user-granularity keys to manage; also for some domains where
DNS management and email account management are in different organizations.

3. IIM has some additional features to make messages robust against common
modifications.  IIM copies the header that the signer wishes to certify, so
that if the "real" headers in the message are modified (by a mailing list, for
example) the copied headers can be verified and used.  IIM also has an optional
body byte count which can be used to allow the message to be appended to
(again, with common mailing list behavior in mind).

There are also some more subtle differences in how multiple signatures, if any,
are handled and in what order they're evaluated.  And there are the inevitable
syntax differences.

William Leibzon has compiled an excellent comparison matrix between several
signing proposals, including IIM and DK.  It is at:

http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/emailsignatures-comparisonmatrix.htm

-Jim