Re: the meaning of a mailsig signature

2004-11-07 19:52:39

At 09:52 AM 11/7/2004 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

My personal answers.... I don't expect mailsig to replace PGP -- I'll
continue to use PGP to send email to my bank. All I hope to gain from
mailsig is the capacity to reject certain unwanted incoming mail at SMTP
time. Once the message is accepted, mailsig is irrelevant -- the problem
gets solved by a _human_ then anyway, and if you're already showing the
mail to a human, you've already lost.

You're lucky to have a bank that understands PGP!  This is an important point
-- PGP solves a different problem.  Validity of mailsig signatures
(authorization of keys) is under your domain's control, not yours.  You almost
certainly don't want the bank relying on that.

I don't agree that mailsig is irrelevant once the message has been accepted.
There are a lot of things that can be done once the message is received, like
to subject messages without a valid signature (and perhaps a good
reputation/accreditation as well) to more aggressive content filtering or other
scrutiny.