Re: MASS plus Sender-ID

2004-11-22 06:57:18

Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:

Of course if the message is spam the chances are that you will recieve a few
tens of thousand copies.

If the message is phishing then the authentication to a web mail provider
doth not improve credibility. Hello, this is paypal sending you an email
thru yahoo...

Enail authentication is an opening, not the endgame.

After a lot of hand-wringing on my part about this problem
I'm resigned that it needs to be dealt with in the
reputation plane rather than with MASS per se. There's
simply no way to tell the difference and a sender truly has
no way to restrict distribution even if it wanted to --
which it doesn't. Which is to say that I agree.

Now _how_ it is dealt with in this hypothetical reputation
plane is an interesting question...

         Mike