Re: problems IIM dns specification

2004-11-28 14:21:26

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Tony Finch wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, william(at)elan.net wrote:

I think "=" is invalid character for host name.

If the DNS record isn't being used for a hostname (or mail domain or
something else that has tighter syntax requirements than the DNS) it can
contain whatever you like.

Yes, that is true (it might even contain "." which will totally confuse
remote end), but for fun exercise test some of your favorite GUI DNS
configuration utilities and see which ones will letter you add a host with
"=" in the name. Would I be wrong to assume that < 5% will let you do it?

And since dns is not case-sensitive we loose value of using SHA1 and have
greater chance of collision. I say its better to just use hex for which
is what we have with IPv6 ip addresses anyway.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks