Re: The end points are end points

2004-12-20 17:32:41

So talk me through what happens when I resend your interesting mail to
someone else for them to read:

      MAIL FROM:<dwmw2(_at_)infradead(_dot_)org>

      From: johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com
      Sender: testlist-owner(_at_)lists(_dot_)gurus(_dot_)com

If you believe 2822, you display the Resent-Sender since this message has
resent- headers.  In this case there's no explicit Resent-Sender, so it
implicitly exists with the same contents as Resent-From.

Also, if you use BATV (you will if you get as much blowback as I do), the
MAIL FROM is more likely to be
prvs=dmmw2/0715ab4dc89a(_at_)infradead(_dot_)org(_dot_)

I realize that at this point MTAs display From: and maybe Sender:, and
nothing else unless you push the button to see all the headers.  My point
is that if we're going to encourage people to display more addresses,
we're better off displaying the ones intended for people rather than the
one intended for other computers.

PS: When making arguments about 2821 addresses, don't forget to
explain what the plan is when the 2821 address is <>.

Was the explanation in
<1102376600(_dot_)5122(_dot_)64(_dot_)camel(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain>
insufficient?

Yes, what you propose there is insufficient.  BATV is swell, and I use it,
but it addresses a different problem.  BATV addresses bounce blowback, not
mail forgery.  BATV ensures that only people who have a message from you
can send you a bounce, but it doesn't keep those people from lying about
who they are.  You still need something like DK for forward
authentication.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor