Re: MASS Security Review document

2005-02-11 08:01:26

On Feb 11, 2005, at 9:03 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

One has to
remember that MASS is primarily a mechanism to prevent forgery, and
secondarily a way to enable reputation.

That's makes what you said a lot clearer to me.  And it is a good point.

What the big mail providers,
etc, get out of this bargain is a way to effectively stop miscreants
from using their domain's name without going through something that
they trust (eg, their MTA's). That's pretty good incentive even if
the likelihood that you could then turn around and use that as the
basis for a meaningful reputation check is low.

If it will be inequitable for reputations, then it isn't a meaningful reputation check. Though, I'm unclear as to the importance of this secondary feature.

Thanks.

-andy