Re: draft-delany-domainkeys-base-02.txt

2005-04-04 09:04:17

"Hallam-Baker," == Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
writes:

    >> [mailto:owner-ietf-mailsig(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Sam
    >> Hartman

    >> Brief summary: we disagree a lot.
    Douglas> This mechanism is the only means to make the validation
    Douglas> of the local-part explicit.  It may not be reasonable, if
    Douglas> this causes a proliferation of user-keys beyond normal
    Douglas> capacity.
    >>  That's unclear to me.  I'm not sure whether current domainkey
    >> semantics say that the local part is validated.  If they do
    >> not, allowing a policy attribute to be attached to a signature
    >> saying that the local part is validated seems sufficient to
    >> address your concern.

    Hallam-Baker,> If you think about it I think you will agree that
    Hallam-Baker,> the policy attribute has to be attached to the
    Hallam-Baker,> key. The signature can weaken the policy statement
    Hallam-Baker,> and say that the signature meets a lower criteria
    Hallam-Baker,> but should not raise the criteria.

I was thinking that for a per-domain key--a key allowed to sign any
local part--the signature itself could indicate whether the local part
was in fact checked.

I agree that a signature must not promote the authorization of a key.