Re: revised Proposed Charter

2005-08-01 03:32:51

FWIW:  I agree completely with Dave's views below.

--
Arvel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> To: "James Scott" <james(_dot_)scott(_at_)liverton(_dot_)com>; "'IETF-MAILSIG'" <ietf-mailsig(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 4:38 AM
Subject: RE: revised Proposed Charter

I believe that there is a lot of discussion on the list, sparked by concern
 that the proposed charter does not permit extension of the DKIM message
 verification to alternative key retrieval mechanisms, appears to be

The fact that DKIM provides a parameter for specifying the key service to use
obviously means that this is extensible.

So the issue is whether adding such extensions needs to be part of the initial
DKIM wg work.

I'm still trying to understand the argument that says such work is essential for
the deployment and use of DKIM.

For all of the email traffic on the topic of alternate key servers, I have not
noted very broad support for pursuing it.

I was suggesting that if the charter is amended to specifically state that alternatives *WILL* be considered (albeit in a separate forum, probably in

If something is pursued in a separate forum, then it is outside the scope of the
current charter.

A charter cannot make commitments about work that will be done elsewhere.

 The suggestion in this instance, is not to reassure folks that work on a
 particular area has been deferred, but that it is being undertaken in a
 separate forum.

The productive way to pursue that is for those wishing to specify and deploy and alternate key service to do so. They do not need to good wishes or permission
of the current dkim activity.  All that they need is a hook in the dkim
parameter space and they already have that.

 d/
 ---
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking