Re: DKIM: key identification and shared keys

2005-08-02 00:16:40

Michael Thomas wrote:

Amir Herzberg wrote:

Still new to DKIM (from draft-allman-dkim-base-00) so please bear with me if I'm raising old issues; didn't identify them in the archives.

Looking at section 6.3 `Get the Public Key`...  two questions/comments:

1. It says Verifier MUST retrieve public key... Always? Why not include some key identifier and allow the verifier to use a cached key (based on the identifier)? Of course, if key retrieval is using DNS, then the DNS caching mechanism will also make this a local operation. But I think there are several advantage to allowing a key identifier and a key cache at the verifier. One motivation follows.

The intent is to use DNS caching, yes. Note that a DKIM implementation
is certainly more than welcome to contain a caching resolver for
efficiency.

I would add that whatever you use for caching (if it's not just what DNS and/or your resolver provide) needs to pay attention to the time-to-live on key records. Revocability of keys is an important property of DKIM, so caching keys longer than is requested by the publisher is not a good idea.

-Jim