Re: QUERY: Key Server Choices

2005-08-03 14:46:15

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, wayne wrote:

I dunno about Mike, but I consider HTTP to be heavy-weight because an
HTTP GET transaction will likely be as costly in terms of both
bandwidth and latency as an SMTP transaction.

HTTP is *MUCH* cheaper than SMTP. HTTP implementations are optimised for
low latency interactive performance, wherea SMTP implementations perform
lots of defensive checks which are often slow. Even ignoring these
implementation issues, a bare HTTP protocol exchange requires 2 RTTs
(syn/syn+ack, ack+request/response) compared to 5 for pipelined SMTP
(syn/syn+ack, ack/banner, ehlo/extension-list, mail+rcpt+data/responses,
content+quit/responses).

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR