RE: Replay attacks and ISP business models

2005-08-07 19:07:25

Sure, but now we're perilously close to saying that all
mailing lists have to upgrade or the DKIM replay detector
will whack them, which strikes me as a total non-starter.
That tells me that a replay detector won't be useful because
of all the false positives.

How is that different from telling folk they must DKIM their email or
the spam filter will whack 'em?

It's somewhat different, but I hope we can agree that it would be a poor
idea in general to do silly things that will lose valid mail.

I have a feeling that some folk are so focused on the 80/20 rule here
that they are failing to accept the fact that maybe they are actually
imposing a 50/50 cut and leaving an important 30% of low hanging fruit
functionality on the table.

I'm not sure what the two sides of the argument are supposed to be.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor